Search This Blog

Friday, May 12, 2017

Comment on Benny Leykun's Article

My colleague Benny Leykun recently wrote an article, which you can read here, about the current situation of police officers and about requiring them to wear body cameras. I go back and forth between the requirement of wearing a body camera for all police officers. Let me start off by saying that I am a criminal justice major, so I do want to become a cop someday. And with all that's going on lately in the media with the police, it's driving me even more to become one. The problem that officers face is that their job is a very public one, they serve the public but that means that their mistakes also become more public than many other jobs. The duties of a police officer are also more high risked than other jobs too, they often put their lives on the line for people they don't even know. I for one respect anyone who takes it upon themselves to become a police officer, but that does not mean I agree with what some of them have done. If you talk with any officer, most of them will also tell you that they do not approve of what some of those officers have done either. I don't think we should judge every officer based on the actions of a very small minority of them, and remember that there are "bad apples" in almost every job sector. There's bad lawyers and doctors and teachers and garbage men and office workers. We are all human and we're bound to make mistakes, but I do think something has to change with how policing is handled. I just don't know exactly what....

No comments: